Thursday, October 14, 2010

23 Months

Joel is 23 months today and we cannot believe that he will be two in just a month! We are really enjoying this age--it's so fun to hear new words, hold conversations, and watch him play. I'm afraid that I'm going to look back at this time and not remember what Joel was like at 23 months, so I wanted to document some of what he is doing.

Joel's two big loves right now are his choo-choos and his vacuum. He loves to put books on the coffee table and roll the choo-choos over the books. He will then declare them stuck when they can't get over the edge of the book. The vacumm...oh my goodness. It is hilarious to watch him vacuum the house because he does it just like me. He will lift it up and vacuum the couch or the table (no I don't do that!). When I get out the big vacuum, he squeals with happiness.

He is very knowledge about potties and potty talk. He knows the name of all functions that happen in the bathroom, as well as the words tooted and butt (lovely, huh?). When someone goes into the bathroom he says pee-pee. The other day he looked in Daddy's pants for poopy. We have tried to get him to use the potty, but he hasn't actually done it. I'd like to get motivated and start potty training soon, but I'm certainly not in a hurry for that experience!

He recognizes a lot of numbers and can do some counting.

He likes to fall down and then very loudly ask himself, "Okay?"

When we go to the park, he will play on the actual playground for maybe five minutes. What he really likes to do is wander around, run, and pick up sticks, rocks, and leaves. Such a boy!

Joel has so many words I can't even think about writing them all down. He is putting together two and three word sentences, and sometimes four words. His longest sentence that I frequently hear is, "Mama, I want cereal." Some of his newest words are thank you, welcome, sunny, rain, bulldozer, digger, tractor, oatmeal, peanuts, bread, vacuum, puzzle, bunny, ela (elephant), bear, lion, ribbit, gorilla, cry, shy, heavy, cold, and treat.

Joel definitely has a mischevious streak in him. He thinks it's quite fun to climb on the chairs, the coffee and dining room table, the bookshelf, and I'm pretty sure he will soon think it's fun to climb on the counters. When he does it he will look at us and grin very widely. He is also a food thief. When I host Bible study, he goes into the kitchen and takes food off the kid's plates. Or, he will pull a chair to the counter and steal food from there.

Along with that michevious streak is also a kind heart. Whenever he hears a child crying, he says, "cry" with a very worried look on his face. If anyone has an owie, he will kiss it. He loves to hug his stuffed animals, books, and his friends. He will pick things up that belong to other people and give them back...most of the time. :) He enjoys making people smile and laugh.

We are so proud of our son and incredibly blessed to be the ones who get to raise him and watch him grow into a little boy. We can't wait to celebrate his second birthday next month with family, friends, and some choo-choos!

21 comments:

Elizabeth Frick said...

Happy 23 months, Joel! Don't worry - two is super-fun!

IP Journey said...

What a fun and talkative 23 month old! Can't wait to hear about his 2 year old birthday!

sue said...

happy 23 months joel!!! you are one awesome dude!

i love that he falls down in purpose and then asks himself if he is ok! what a funny kid! this age is a blast, isn't it?!

Kimberly and Ed said...

Joel is so much fun and such a sweet boy. How funny that he looked in daddy's pants to see if he had any poopy:-) Happy 23 months Joel!

JoJo said...

Happy 23 months, Joel-y! You are such a fun and happy little kid. Nice update, mama.

Jenny said...

happy 23 months! you are such an awesome kiddo :-)

Birdie said...

Great update! This is such an exciting time for Joel, such a sweet heart. I'm amazed at the rapid changes around this age - things they did last month they no longer do, and what they are doing now may be long gone in a month. I'm glad you recorded it all!

Kari said...

Happy 23 months Joel and what a cutie you are!

Min said...

He's such a blessing! And SO cute!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like Joel is doing some great things! I had to LOL with checking daddy's pants for poopy - ha! Happy 23 months to Joel!

kelly said...

Happy 23 months Joel! This sounds like such a fun age. I love your update, Christine, I think it captures the essence of Joel. I just love that he is kind hearted - that is the best characteristic to have! And so good with his words and even some sentences - wow! Cute, smart, funny, kind - man, you have it all Joel! Your mommy and daddy are very lucky. I can't wait to hear how your choo-choo party goes next month!!

kelly said...

PS - That photo is just adorable with his toothy grin! I kinda get the feeling he's about to climb up on the table though!

Sandra said...

Joel is such a cute little boy. I can't believe he is almost 2! Wow. It sounds like it is a great age though! He's got lots of personality.

Grace said...

happy 23 months! i just love reading all about joel...so sweet. i love his love for vacuuming...is he free to come and vacuum my house? i'm not a big fan of it myself :)

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Wow, what an amazing update! I love it! There's so many fabulous tidbits in here, that I can't even try to pick one or two out as my faves...

C, you did a great job giving us such a wonderfully vivid description of Joel at this moment. Beautiful!

(I also love when I read about how similar, yet different, our boys can all be!)

Kala said...

What a great update. He sounds so smart, fun, and considerate. What a cutie!!!

Kelly said...

The fun is just beginning. You are such a sweet, loving momma--through your posts I can tell how much you adore him!! He is such a cutie!!

Janet said...

Sounds like LOTS of fun development going on over there. LOVE all the talking (that is an awesome and long sentence!). He really does sound like an expert on the bathroom comings/goings...funny. Love that he asks himself if he is OK when he falls down. That's one cute food thief you have there. Cannot believe our boys are almost 2.

Colleen said...

Happy 23 months, Joel! I think you and Noah would have quite a blast together as he too loves the vacuum, choo choo trains and potty talk. You sound like such a special little boy and I hope we get to meet you one day! :)

Amy said...

He is such a handsome little man! I know you are hoping he is just as interested in vacuuming the house when he's 13! Happy 23 months, Joel!

Kris said...

Happy 23 months to Joel! I laughed at the thought of him stealing food off of the kid's plates. What a stinker. He's a fun kid!!