"Some people are blessed with the gift of infertility." The first time I read this quote, I thought, "What is this person saying? Does she have any idea what we have been through? There's no way our trials have been anything near a blessing or a gift!" But as my husband Travis and I started to think and talk about it, it actually became pretty clear. Our infertility truly is a blessing in disguise. Through all of the months on the roller coaster of fertility treatments, our two pregnancy losses, and our deep longing and ache for a child, we have learned so much. We have learned that we are not in control, no matter how much we want to be or how much we think we can convince God that our plans are better than His. We have learned that life isn't fair, and it never will be. We live in a fallen world, with too much sin, too much evil, for life to ever make sense or be "fair." My husband and I have learned that our love is so strong it can stand up to one of the hardest challenges a marriage can face. We have learned that we are much stronger people than we give ourselves credit for. I remember thinking so many times that I wouldn't be able to handle a particular situation if it happened to us. I truly thought I wouldn't be able to survive. Well, guess what? Those things happened and we've made it through. We have survived, and are all the better for it. With all these important lessons and irreplaceable experiences, the greatest way that our infertility is a blessing is that it has brought us to the point we are at today, which is in the process of adopting a child from South Korea. We truly feel that God has a child picked out for us, and even though it's not what we expected, it's perfectly right. One of my favorite Bible verses comes to mind here:
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him,
who have been called according to His purpose." -Romans 8:28
Through our journey, we have countlessly asked God why. Why is this happening to us? Why aren't we being blessed with a child? Why can't we seem to get pregnant, when it comes so easily to so many? Now we feel as if this question is, at least in part, being answered. Because God has a different plan for us. Because our child, the one that God ordained before time, is without a forever family and waiting for us to bring him or her home. We are so excited to be on this journey to parenthood. When we first met, I told Travis that I wanted to adopt internationally after having biological children, and he thought that sounded like a great idea. Adoption is a different way for us to build our family, and we feel that this is our calling from God. We went through a lot to get to this point, but now that we are here, we wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.

1 comments:
So blessed by this Christine...thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment