
Four and a half months after sending our paperwork to Korea, we were surprised by a referral that came more quickly than it was supposed to. After almost four years of trying to start a family and much heartbreak, it was absolutely amazing to "meet" Joel Allen Hwan. We spent the rest of the day talking about him, making phone calls, crying tears of happiness, rereading his information, and smiling every time we looked at the photos of our new son.
April 30, 2009 was a day that we will forever remember. It was a day that made us the happiest and proudest we had ever been. It was a day that brought many many smiles and tears, and it was a day in which our prayers for a child were answered.
It's one year later, and this face can still make us smile every time.

24 comments:
Happy referral day to you guys!
Also, you might beat me for saying so, but that last picture of Joel looks a whole lot more "big boy" than baby.......
Oh, the referral day is such a happy day!!! Happy anniversary!
And his referral picture! Oh goodness, I could just squeeze him!
I cannot imagine the emotion we will feel when we finally get our referral. Thanks so much again for sharing your journey! Happy Referral Day!
Happy referral day! What an amazing day it is!
Joel...you are one cute little guy! I just want to give you lots of hugs!
Yahoo! Happy referral day! What a cute little chubby photo :)
happy referral day!!!! Joel is as cute today as he was in that first photo! and i agree, i just want to squeeze him in his referral picture!
Happy Referral Day! I'm so looking forward to ours and hope it comes very, very soon!
Joel's sweet face makes me smile everytime I see it, too!
Happy Referral Day! I still remember finding out about Joel and how happy we were for you guys! He has changed so much in a year!
The emotions of adoption are so powerful and varied ~ And seeing your child's picture for the first time? Aww - few things can beat that feeling! Since I recently started following your blog this is the first that I saw Joel's referral photo. He's just as cute as ever! And I recognize that pink chair :) We were with SWS, too!
Happy Referral Day to you all!
Happy Referral Day! Love Joel's chubby cheeks in his referral picture:)
Happy referral day! There is nothing like seeing your child's face for the first time! Joel is adorable and has grown up so much! So fun to see him in his referral photo.
Happy Referral Anniversary!
I love the pink chair pics from the SWS - so many of our boys (and girls) sat there...
Happy referral day!!
I remember that cute little spikey hair and sweet face.
Enjoy this wonderful anniversary with that sweet, cute, boy.
happy referral day to you!
Happy Referral Day! It is such an amazing and surreal day, isn't it? Seeing that photo for the first time...what a moment! ( and I just love Joel's referral photo! I'm sure it was love at first sight. ♥ )
Ok, I'm a little teary eyed. All of those emotions of referral day is taking me back. I'm so happy for you! Enjoy the anniversary!
Happy referral day! What a special time to remember and celebrate.
Happy referral day!
Oh my gosh!!! I love his referral photo! And my goodness, those are cute "today" pictures! He's so photogenic!
Happy Referral Day!
Happy referral day!!
Joel is definitely your "answered prayer"! What a sweet blessing he is!
Happy Referral Day! What a great photo (well, all of them!) Joel is just such a cute, sweet baby. Although I have to agree with Cori - he's looking pretty grown up now!! Btw, Max's Korean name has Hwan in it, too :)
Congrats on 1 yr! He is so sweet!
Happy Referral-versary! Its amazing how its possible to fall in love w/someone just from a few pictures, isn't it?
Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow.
Sorry I'm behind here (and on many blogs)...
Happy Referral Day!! I LOVE seeing the original referral photos and then recent photos of how all these little guys look now...one year later.
Congratulations. Fun to look back as we move forward.
Post a Comment