I realized today that it is important to remember not only the women who are with their children, loving and caring for them, but also for others. Mothers who have placed their children for adoption, or who have aborted their children. Mothers who have been separated from their children in difficult circumstances. Those who have lost their mother too soon. And those who long to be mothers but are still waiting. My heart is heavy for those women today.
My heart is heavy, but it is also joyful. There isn't a more wonderful woman than my own mother, and I couldn't be happier or prouder to be her daughter. My son is perfect, precious, and I am celebrating the fact that I was chosen to be his mother.
I received the most special, fabulous gift on my first Mother's Day. A friend of my mom has a very talented daughter, and she took this picture of Joel and I just hours after becoming a family...
...and turned it into a work of art.
I love it, and tear up every time I look at it. My mom (and the artist) like to call this picture "The Lioness and Her Cub." This is pretty accurate--a good description of the feelings I had shortly after becoming a mother. I can remember cleary the protective feeling I had while walking around Seoul with this new child of ours. It was an amazing, breath-taking feeling, captured perfectly here.
Thinking of and thanking God for all of the women I know, who are all mothers in their own way.

22 comments:
My thoughts exactly....
and I love the art!
Good to see you this morning!
Beautiful post, you described many of the emotions and thoughts I had today.
That artwork is stunning, what a wonderful memory!
Happy Mother's Day!
Oh, do I remember that picture. It spoke to me then and still does today. What a great idea to make it a piece of artwork.
Happy 1st Mother's Day!
Happy Mother's Day! I love the art!
that is so beautiful! what a special, special piece of art! i love it!
So true - I've had many internal dialogues around this subject for the past week.
That art work is such a special gift - just lovely! Happy Mother's Day.
What an amazing gift! Such talent.
I loved what you said about remembering all the moms on Mother's Day.
Happy Mother's Day!
Wow, this is the first time I'm seeing that photo of you and Joel. It's amazing. I get goosebumps when I look at it. And the artwork - beautiful! What a thoughtful gift.
I love what you said about remembering all the mothers on Mother's Day. There are so many to be thankful and keep close to our hearts.
Beautiful post, Christine. I LOVE the artwork. I will forever remember that picture. I can just feel the emotions that you were feeling in the look in your eyes. Happy Mother's Day!
Wonderful post! You were able to put to words what so many people have felt and are feeling.
The picture and artwork are truly priceless. Absolutely beautiful.
What a beautiful piece of art you will treasure forever!
Wow. Love the artwork!
The portrait is breathtaking and such a special gift I know you will treasure forever!
Happy Mother's Day!
What a wonderful portrait of you and Joel. Happy 1st Mother's Day!
Wow. That is amazing. What a wonderful gift!
Such a lovely post, Christine. I don't think I could have said it nearly as eloquently as you.
How wonderful to receive such a sentimental gift for your first Mother's Day. I hope you had an amazing day! :)
What a precious gift! Happy mother's day!
That artwork is amazing! Love it!
Christine, what a beautiful post. I love what you said about Joel's three mothers and about all moms. I think Mother's Day will be an intense day every year for us with so many conflicting feelings of happiness and loss. Thank you for capturing that sentiment so well.
LOVE that photo of you two - I don't think I've seen it before. I can't believe how it was turned into that lovely piece of art. Just beautiful.
I love that photo of you and Joel. I love that you look different to me in that photo...compared to all the other photos I've seen of you so far. I love that you are not smiling in that photo. I can feel your emotion in that photo...taking in your new role...and all the seriousness it includes.
How wonderful to have that lovely photo turned into a piece of art. I would frame them and hand them side-by-side. They really do tell a story...your story. Simply beautiful.
I had MANY similar feeling/thoughts running through my head & heart on Mother's Day (and many other days).
great post - i always feel a little sad on mother's day, thinking of my sons' foster & birth families who do not get to hug and kiss my boys and see what wonderful little people they are becoming and remembering when i was the woman waiting for them to come home.
this is a beautiful post Christine! i love the picture of you and Joel and the artwork is a perfect rendition of it. happy mother's day!
Post a Comment