Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Forever Family Day--2 Years

This past Saturday, we celebrated two years of being a family, or our Forever Family Day. It's so hard to believe that it's only been two years since we became parents to the best boy ever. There was a time not so long ago when I could remember life before Joel. Not so anymore. And I really don't want to--life with him is so much more fulfilling, exciting, interesting, and wonderful.

We weren't able to do a whole lot of celebrating since we were camping on this special day. And our other plans to celebrate were ruined by this nasty heat, so we ended up just doing dinner and ice cream for Joel on Monday. He was definitely happy with that! At bedtime he told me, "thank you for the surprises, Mom."

I've been making a book online for Joel in honor of this Family Day that tells his life story--his birth in Korea and joining our family through adoption. In working on it, I took some of the pictures of him given to us by his foster family and scanned them into the computer. Something we hadn't noticed before is the hair cut Joel had!

Here he is in February...


...and here's March.


Could he have been any cuter??


Happy Forever Family Day, Joel Allen Hwan! We love you beyond words and thank God over and over for bringing you to our family.


15 comments:

BrandiB said...

Happy Forever Family Day! Precious pictures! I want to put something together for Asher as well. Would love to hear about what you end up doing for Joel. Seen a few really creative ideas for "journey books" on several blogs

Amy said...

Happy Forever Family Day!! He was and still is so adorable! How about those cheeks? He was a little roly poly just like Lukas!

Min said...

Happy forever family day! What a wonderful rewind set of photos.

kelly said...

Happy Forever Family Day! Wow, two whole years! I'm sure life before Joel is a very foggy distant memory now, like you say. I'm dying over the old photos of Joel as an itty bitty baby. My goodness, he was TOO CUTE! And he looks so happy and giggly. The haircut is hilarious, too. Oh what special photos. Yay for doing his book ... I still need to do that too.

Oh and I almost cried when I read that he said "thank you for the surprises, mom." What a sweetheart he is.

IP Journey said...

He's so cute! Then and now! happy Family day!

sue said...

oooh, baby joel is so cute! that hair cut cracks me up! i love it!

happy family day to a wonderful family - one of the best that i know.

Kelly said...

Happy Forever Family Day! Wow, two years - I'm sure it went by just like that.

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Happy Family Day!!! I love seeing these pictures of baby Joel! (I gasped out loud when i saw them... Soooo beautiful!) I must get spencer's book finished. Must! Maye you can inspire me?!?

Patti and Rick said...

Happy family day - such beautiful pictures! He is so sweet and such a beautiful gift.

Krista said...

Happy Forever Family Day! Thank you for sharing such sweet pictures of little Joel - it's hard to think of our boys being so small!

Kara said...

Oh my goodness!!!! Happy Family Day. I LOVE those pictures of Joel as a baby. Thanks for sharing. You definitely the most of a special day for a special boy!

Sandra said...

A very belated Happy Family Day!

Kris said...

I am so late on this, but Happy Forever Family Day! I can't get over how cute Joel was as a baby. His face was SO round, I love it!!! Especially in that hoodie with the ears.

Isn't it funny how kids are happy with the simplest surprises? I love that Joel was happy with dinner and ice cream. X is the same way. They just want to know they are loved.

Janet said...

I'm way late on this...but I still enjoyed this post VERY much. Happy (belated) Family Day! What super cute pics of Joel when he was soooo little. Wow! I have a few photos from D's foster mom too...that I really want/need to scan into the computer too...to make him another book. I already made one (that starts when we came to Korea for him), but I want to do one that starts before that. A life book of sorts, I guess.

JoJo said...

Happy Family Day!!! I love to see the pics of our boys in Korea, cuz it's totally them! It's a reality we only really know when they're home.