Joel was in awe of all the alligators. We probably saw ten or so, and he kept pointing and asking if that one was an alligator.
At one point, we were walking along the path and spotted a large alligator in the pond just in front of us. There was nothing separating us from this six foot creature, and it was a little scary! Thankfully he left us alone. Obviously. Or you would have heard about it a lot sooner! :)
We had to get in some good park time on vacation, too. Right across the street from Grammy's was a fun little place called Kidd's Corner that Joel enjoyed.
Anytime we go on vacation, one of the things I look forward to the most is the food. I'll be honest here. I love to eat and think about food a little more than is probably normal. Southern food is some of my favorite--hush puppies, sweet tea, boiled peanuts, seafood, fried okra, she-crab soup, pimento cheese....yum. We definitely enjoyed our fill this year, and Joel was in heaven from all the ice cream, cupcakes, and desserts we let him have.
We love the Charleston Crab House and both times we've visited with family, we've gone here on our last night. It's a great way to end a wonderful vacation.

In case you're curious, the sign is upside down because the restaurant was featured on the popular TV show, "Flip This House" in 2006.
We were so sad to leave beautiful Charleston. Tears came as we said good-bye to one of our favorite places. It's easy to forgo vacations for other priorities, but we realized this year that getting away for a week and being together is worth not having as much in savings, or missing out on work. We promised ourselves that we'd do what we could to return next summer and make more family memories in a place we love.

10 comments:
I'm glad you all had such a wonderful, special time as a family. You're making memories and Joel will never forget these fun times. His face while eating the ice cream sandwich is priceless...you can tell how much he's enjoying it!! :)
Nice vacation!! Looks and sounds like it was a lot of fun. Great photos and I especially love the picture where he's smelling the flower.
now i'm hungry thinking about yummy southern food!!! i love that you think about food a lot - it's another thing i like about you :).
I'm hungry now too! I had a couple of thoughts about how cool the playground was... and how scary the alligators were... but now I just want to EAT. :)
Love all these pics! Is it possible to have TOO GOOD of a vacation? If so, sounds like you did :)
Just read all your Charleston posts. What an amazing vacation! It really is amazing what a little time away can do for you. Glad you're making it a priority!
i just LOVE how joel seems just so happy and excited about everything! i can't wait to meet him and hear that laughter that i'm always seeing in pictures!
Alligators, especially ones that close to me, would freak me out...yikes! I'm glad that big guy left you alone. Phew! Love the picture of Joel on that pretty red bridge and the one of him enjoying that ice cream treat...mmm-mmm! Family vacations are SO fun. I'm glad you had such a good time. Reminds me...we need to get away more often.
P.S. (I forgot)...I LOVE sweet tea! Yum! I didn't even know what it was when I moved down "somewhat" south. The restaurant where I worked served sweet and unsweet tea...and I made the bonehead mistake of asking why they had BOTH kinds...can't people just put sugar in the regular (unsweet) tea? Duh. I discovered the difference once I tasted it. Sugar in ice tea just DOESN'T even come close for me now...back up north.
I think you hit the nail on the head - vacations are good for the soul! And you will never regret taking one (although sometimes the visa bill suggests otherwise :) Beach, ice cream, good food, playgrounds, time with loved ones? I'd say your trip was a huge success!
Pssst - mommy only vacation coming up! Yay!
Post a Comment