Saturday, August 14, 2010

21 Months

Joel is 21 months today, and in just three short months we'll be celebrating his second birthday! It is unbelievable how fast he is growing up. He is doing so many cute, "big boy" things lately that make us smile and laugh. He is also doing many things that exasperate us to no end. I guess that comes with the pre-two territory!

We're really pleased with his speech lately. We just love hearing him talk and repeat words. One new thing he has started saying is unnee. It took us a few days to figure out he is saying honey. He will walk into the living room and call that out, or repeat me when I call Travis that. Some of his other newer words are gockle (pickle), bip (fish), nee (sneeze), pea, each (eat), nao (mail), moom (moon), bome (bone), huma (hummus), ooee (monkey), and watch. He has just started putting two words together, and will say hi Nyna (Nyla) or bye-bye Papa. When he is wondering where daddy is, he says Daddy...are you?

Speaking of Papa, he loves his Nana and Papa. He says their names multiple times a day and gets very excited when he sees them. Every time he pretends to talk on the phone and we ask him who it is, it's always Papa.

He loves to give and get kisses. He gives kisses to us, his stuffed animals, his books, or anything that he hits to say sorry. He also says "Mmmmma!" when he does it. The sweetest is when he takes my hand and kisses it or asks for mah (more) when I give him a kiss.

He can say Joel and his Korean name, Hwan. We say it with an ah at the end, which is frequently done in Korea. We're also teaching him Omma (Mom), Appa (Dad), the numbers 1-5 in Korean, bop (rice), and we're attempting kimchi and annyong.

He still loves his trucks and choo-choos! We recently bought him a take along Thomas track with three Thomas engines. He LOVES it. He will play with it for thirty minutes, which is a long time for an almost two-year-old! 90 percent of the toys he plays with have wheels and can be pushed or moved around the house. He is perfectly happy pulling his wagon around or pushing his vacuum.

Joel loves his new ride that Daddy found at a garage sale yesterday for $5. I'm not exactly sure why Daddy had to bring it in the house, but Joel was sure pleased about it!

There are days when we just can't believe that this beautiful, loving, happy, healthy, joy-bringing boy is ours. We have been blessed beyond measure!

20 comments:

Jessica J said...

Happy 21 months Joel! He sounds like the sweetest little boy. I love how you talk about him kissing your hand :)...precious.

Elizabeth Frick said...

Go Joel! Happy 21 mos, buddy!

Kelly said...

What a great update! Happy 21 months to Joel!

Kimberly and Ed said...

Wow! Love all the English and Korean words Joel is saying, but I especially love "unnee" and "Mmmmma" - too cute:-) Happy 21 months Joel!

kelly said...

Unnee? Joel is the sweetest! Sounds like he's really getting the hang of some words and putting them together. Love that he can play by himself for 30 whole minutes! And love that you got the CC for only $5!! Happy 21 months Joel, you are just getting more and more irresistible every single month!

JoJo said...

Happy 21 months little guy! Sorry I didn't wish you a happy day in person, but we had fun together :)
What a great little guy!

Janet said...

Only $5?? Man...bargain of the summer. Even ours was good...but not THAT good.

Little D is really into kissing things too. Love that Joel says the "mmmmma" sound when he does it. Sweet.

Love the smile on his face...he really is hap-hap-happy! Happy 21 months, Joel. LOVE all your words.

Kari said...

Happy 21 months! What a sweet and adorable little boy!

IP Journey said...

What a cutie! I love his smile and the cute Pororo in his awesomen bargain car! Happy 21 months little guy!

BrandiB said...

He sounds like he is full of life! Happy 21 months Joel!

Anonymous said...

oh, I love Joel's new ride! Parker would be so jealous. :) I love how Joel kisses something after he hits it! Happy 21 months!!

Kris said...

I love that picture of him - he's looking older. Happy 21 months to Joel! I also love his word for pickle, so cute.

Summer and Stuart said...

Oh, he is so adorable!!! What little stinker.. getting so big and smart :) Great to hear how wonderful you guys are doing!!

Grace said...

love this! did you know that "unnee" is the korean word for big sister from a little sister? (a little brother would call the big sister noona)
and i love porroro is taking a ride in his car!

Kristen said...

Happy 21 months Joel - what a cutie you are!

Birdie said...

Happy 21 months! I love the Unnee story, and we are right there wtih you on the wheeled toys. Keep on talking Joel!

Kelly said...

Joel is so cute!! My kids all loved that cozy coupe car. I think we have gone through 3--all from yard sales, too! Maybe we will shop around in the spring for a new one, for our new addition!!

sue said...

happy 21 months Joel! such a great post! and holy cow, that must be the best $5 ever spent! both Joel and pororo look like they are enjoying themselves!

Colleen said...

Happy 21 months, Joel! Love this update. I hope Noah and I get to meet you and your mommy some day! :)

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Happy 21 months Joel!!! It sounds like you are doing really well with all your milestones! Love all the words, and that you can sit and play that long! Mama must like that too! ;-)