We had just sent our paperwork to Korea, which was a huge exciting step. However, we were told to expect a wait of 6-8 months for a referral, plus 3-4 months to travel. So we were thinking that it was going to be close to a year before we brought our son home. And that just felt like a long, long time away. It ended up being shorter, but of course we didn't know that at the time.
This year is, thankfully, a different story. Putting our Christmas tree up was an emotional experience and I found myself choked up quite a few times. Four years we have waited to have a child during this season, to experience Christmas as a family of three. This year, we are showing our son the lights and Christmas tree. This year, we are helping him hang ornaments on our tree. This year, we are buying presents for our child. This year, we are singing Christmas carols to him before bed. This year, we are thanking God for the precious, wonderful gift of His Son...and ours.

11 comments:
Yay! Isn't it GREAT to look back on the tough years and really enjoy this one? Happy happy.
Christine - this post hits so close to home - i too have been thinking about Christmases years past and how hard they were - our waiting has paid off and here we are celebrating *with* our sons!
What an amazing feeling it must be after waiting so long to share this special holiday with your child. I'm so happy for you guys.
I can definitely relate. Christmas is so exciting for our whole family this year.
what a great post! i'm hoping to be writing a similar one next christmas!!!
I so know how you feel! This year is going to be so different. Last year was tough, seeing all those Christmas cards with little ones wondering when it would be out turn to be a family. After we put up the tree this year, X was looking at the ornaments and Christmas music was playing - I got so emotional because he was actually HERE.
Hope you have a wonderful holiday! Merry Christmas!
I'm having fun hearing about everyone's first Christmas with their kids. I'm still longing for that - but I know it will be worth it in the end. (But next year will likely be the same as this year, bah!)
I could have written much of this post myself. Your feelings are so similar to my own. I still have to pinch myself some days.
We are so happy for you and Travis. The holiday has to be so much more wonderful with Joel home. What a wonderful blessing!
Merry Christmas!
I LOVE this post. Love it!!!
Wishing you a very HAPPY HOLIDAY as a FAMILY!
What a very different Christmas this year would have been for you! I know it sure was for us!
Post a Comment