Friday, February 25, 2011

The Things He Says

We've been hearing some funny and cute things lately from our chatterbox.

Joel asks the same five questions all.day.long. Happened/Happening? Who dat? Is that/this? Where going? What dat called? In fact, most of the time when he asks us these questions he knows the answer. We figured out that he wants us to ask him what it is or where we are going. And the "who dat?" is pretty darn funny (and embarrassing) when we are out in public! He'll just point at random people and say it. Loudly.

When Joel was in one of his time-outs, I told him to stay there until the bell rang. Right away he said, "Ding, ding! Hear it!"

Two new words he's come up with recently are actually and probably. He asked me what a noise was, and I told him I thought it was a truck. He said, "ummmm...actually an airplane." And we hear "probably broken" about his toys quite frequently, too.

We were listening to one of Joel's CDs when the song "He's got the Whole World in His Hands" came on. One of the verses talks about sisters, but apparently Joel is under the impression it's scissors because he started saying baby scissors. We laughed pretty hard about that. And then he looked concerned and asked, "happened?"

One sweet story about Joel, too. We've been putting away some of his baby toys in the closet for baby brother. Of course Joel sees them in there and wants to play with them. We tell him we're saving them for his baby brother. The other day, he took one of his favorite bulldozers into the closet and said "baby brother." He's already sharing! :)

Joel is quite intrigued by many things at church, but especially Communion. A couple months ago, he pointed to the individual cups that were filled and said wine. We aren't really sure how he knew that! Now, when we go up to receive Communion, he says wine very loudly. And then he says, I want wine. Also very loudly. It gets quite a few chuckles from people that hear him!

Whew--all that talking makes a boy tired! Or is it the nap boycotts? One can never be sure.

17 comments:

Sandra said...

How cute is that?! I had to laugh when I pictured you at the mall with him constantly asking "who dat?". I think that will be in my future.

Kari said...

What a great post! I love how he says that he wants wine in church! That is so cute! And "who dat" is pretty darn cute too!

Grace said...

what a sweet little chatterbox! can you share video of him and some of his famous phrases?? my favorite is the little baby scissors...awesome. ;)

Patti and Rick said...

Too sweet! He is so precious and such wonderful memories for you. He is going to be an awesome big brother.

Pix said...

Who dat?! So super cute. I just cracked up thinking how curious he is! Awesome post!

Amy said...

Oh, I love hearing the things Joel is saying. He is quite a little chatterbox. I'm with Grace...share a video!! :)

kelly said...

How cute is this post? Oh my gosh, I loved every little tidbit you shared. My favorite might be his use of actually and probably. "Um, actually it's a plane." So funny! You must crack up all the time with Joel (well, except when he's boycotting naps!)

sue said...

i can't pick what my favorite joelism is. maybe it's that he is already sharing with his brother. seriously adorable! and i do love all the question asking and how inquisitive he is!

Elizabeth Frick said...

I Loooooove "who dat?" Especially out in public. Toddlers are really great at finding embarrassing things like that to say :)
I also love his "ding ding! Hear it!" to get out of time-out. What a crackup!

Jessica J said...

He's so precious! I love the "Who dat"

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Oh Joel, you have me cracking up over here! Seriously. I cannot even handle some of these things. Like "baby scissors" - ha! I can totally see where that comes from. We recently "lost" the "happened" around here (it's now "what happened Mama?!" and I miss it sooo much. I agree. We need video!!! Please?!

Rachelle said...

He is adorable.

Janet said...

Wow! That is a whole lot of GREAT talking going on over there. I love the "actually" stuff. Whoa...seriously?! What a smart little chatterbox you have! I like hearing that other little boys are obsessed about things breaking or being broke-down...something we hear a lot around here.

Colleen said...

i just love hearing the things that come out of the little ones mouths. how do you not crack up while waiting for communion?!! "i want wine!" sooo funny! and what a sweet photo too. :)

Rach@In His Hands said...

Oh, Joel! What a sweet, funny boy you are!

The wine and scissors tidbits made me giggle. Cute!

Kara said...

How funny that we did similsar posts!! Joel is hilarious, and I can only imagine him at church...especially since he speaks SO clearly! What a cutie!

Kimberly and Ed said...

Joel is such a cute chatterbox! I love that he points at random people and says, "Who dat?" but my favorite is how he uses actually and probably:-)