I've also been wanting something just for me. Since bringing Joel home, my other hobbies have been neglected. I haven't scrapbooked a page, sewn any more quilts, done any yoga, or knit any blankets. I felt the need to have an activity for myself, something that's outside of me as a mommy. So when one of my running friends encouraged me to sign up for the Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8K (5 miles), I decided that would be just the motivation I needed.
I was so nervous the day before and the morning of the Shuffle! Travis and Joel came with to cheer me on, and it was great to have them there. Even if Joel was less than thrilled with the events.
Thank goodness for Kara, Kris, Sue, and Kellie. They all made me laugh and calmed my nerves. Here we are, waiting in our corral to start. (Can you find us?)
We all started together, but eventually all split up along the way. My goal was to finish in an hour or less. I was confident I could meet this goal, but I really wasn't expecting 80 degree weather! The heat definitely made the run more challenging for me. Overall, though, it was a very fun run. I love the city, and it was really neat to run down the streets of downtown Chicago with 40,000 other people. I passed Macy's and Old Navy, and only briefly thought about stopping to shop. :) Around mile 3.5 I started to get really worn out. I just wanted to be done, and I was so so thirsty! I kept running just to make it to the next water station. Around mile 4, I walked for quite a bit. And then I continued to walk until I could see the finish line. I started to run again and crossed the finish line at an hour and nine seconds. Yay!!
It was a really great experience and I'm so glad I challenged myself like this! Most of all, though, I'm so thankful to have had the support and encouragement of my friends, my family, and my God.
In January, I started Hal Higdon's training plan for beginners, which was 30 minutes a day, 15 minutes of walking and 15 minutes of alternating walking and jogging every 30 seconds. I did this for a month, and then started the training for the Shuffle. At the beginning, I was pretty discouraged. I could barely run a mile without stopping and feeling like I might die. But I stuck with it, and eventually I could run four miles continuously.
I was so nervous the day before and the morning of the Shuffle! Travis and Joel came with to cheer me on, and it was great to have them there. Even if Joel was less than thrilled with the events.
It was a really great experience and I'm so glad I challenged myself like this! Most of all, though, I'm so thankful to have had the support and encouragement of my friends, my family, and my God.

22 comments:
Christine, I'm so proud of you!!!! You did it and in the time you wanted - WOW! You are awesome. I know you were inspired by Kris and Kara who are runners but probably mostly by Sue who, like you, went from total novice to running a big race. I am inspired by all you ladies, especially you because of how you described wanting to die after running one mile in the beginning. That would be me :) I'm impressed you did all that training - apparently it all paid off, my friend. I need to get off my butt. There's a 5K I want to run/walk in a few weeks. Thanks for the inspiration!
PS - Love that photo of Joel. Yeah, he's enthused :)
Good for you!!! That's quite an accomplishment!
Way to go, Christine!!! I LOVE that you're doing this for yourself - that's how I view my running too... time to just get away from it all and focus on me. I hope you're finding it enjoyable. And hey - 5 miles is AWESOME!!!
Maybe you should conquer the marathon next? I started the same way as you: completely unathletic, period. Walked a block, jogged a block, slowly building my endurance over time. Then about a year later, we ran our first marathon. You can do it!!!
Christine..I am so excited for you!! You should be so very proud of yourself! That is quite the accomplishment and I think it is so impressive that you stuck with your training even when things were tough. YAY for you!!!! and on a sidenote...how dang cute is joel's little yawn face?!!!
What an accomplishment! I'm really impressed that you went from nonathletic to running an 8K! Very inspiring... congratulations!
you should be very proud!!! All mommys need something they can do outside of being a mommmy. Way to go.
Way to go Christine!!! I'm so glad you said you'd do it and you did. I'll be cheering you on at the next marathon.
That is AMAZING! I once tried running, but could never get over that feeling that I may die any second. I love that you stuck with it. Look at how great you did!
Yeah!! So proud of you Christine!
You are a rock star Christine! Your persistance paid off, and you accomplished a huge goal! Way to go!
Way to go, Christine! I love running...it is the one thing that is all mine! :) What a wonderful, healthy outlet from all the mommy stresses.
Keep it up.
That is awesome! It looks like you had a very successful run.
you are awesome christine! i was so honored to be a part of your first race! it's a really big deal and you really tackled it! let's run a race when it's colder out and i promise i'll actually train for the next one!
that picture of joel is hilarious!!! love it!
and wow, you go, girl! amazed and inspired by you! i often say i can't run because i feel like i'm going to pass out and die, so it is awesome to see how you overcame that and completed your first race! WHOHOO!
That is a great accomplishment! Way to go!!
Yeah! What an accomplishment! I love the photo of your Seoul Sisters. :)
You go, girl!!! I'm very impressed!! You should be so proud of yourself! And that pic of Joel...priceless! :)
Congratulations! That is awesome. I'm impressed. I cannot run anymore (due to an ankle/leg issue). I used to run now & then, but never got too into it, but could see how people do.
I totally need to do what you did: find something for just ME outside of my mommy life and my work life. (I just have to figure out where that time will be since those 2 things keep me short on time, but with lots of things I want to do.) I really miss yoga and walking just for me...so hopefully I can get back at one of them soon.
Christine!! You rock!!! I'm so inspired by what you accomplished here. And what an awesome time!
I've tried very hard to carve out me time as well (school has made that easier) and it's amazing the impact it has on everyone in our house... in other words, keep it up! :-)
Christine, you are such an inspiration!! I am so impressed with your goal and how you achieved it. Way to go, girl!!! I'm also really happy I could be a part of it:) And that pick of Joel is so funny.
Yaaay Chrissy!
Belated congratulations on your accomplishment.
So, Chicago Marathon next?
Donna & Bob in Phoenix.
I am soooo impressed Christine! I am so glad that you decided to start running for "you' - congratulations on this HUGE accomplishment!
Post a Comment