I'm not going to go into a lot of detail, because to be honest camping is not on my list of favorite things to do. If I went into detail, I would have to mention all of the miserable aspects of being outside and sleeping in a tent and getting eaten alive by mosquitos and sitting in a car during severe storms and being kept awake by raccoons and walking five minutes just to use the bathroom.
Some things Joel really enjoyed during this trip were swimming in the pool, walking to the river and throwing in rocks, playing in the mud, and getting to eat lots of things that mama doesn't normally let him.
Here are the few pictures I took on the trip. I didn't take very many, because I was too busy trying to make sure Joel didn't run off to the river, the stream, or the campfire! Yikes!
Joel spent some time in here, due to the previously mentioned river, stream, and campfire (and his habit of running off). At least he had his lawn mower to play with!
Our very large tent. Are you wondering why we need such a large tent for three people? I wondered the same thing when Travis bought it but never got a good answer. :)
Joel loved this bridge by our campsite. (By the way, I think this is the dirtiest he has ever been. Wow--I need to loosen up and let him be a boy!)
Despite my dislike of camping, it was fun to take our son on a trip like this for the first time. He seemed to enjoy himself, and that alone made it worthwhile!

19 comments:
I've been waiting to see your camping pictures! I know exactly what you mean about needing to let him get a little dirtier. It's something I am working on as well.
LOL... i think i'm going to have to work on the letting him be dirty thing too whenever jai comes home!
This post is so funny! It sounds like you are not a natural camper but that you are a very good sport of a mommy. Clearly your boys had a really fun time. That tent is a serious mansion, btw :)
Oh my... that tent cracks me up!!! And, I'm not very good about the dirty boy thing either. :-/ Or camping. :-/
i've been waiting for this post too!
sounds like there are a few of us that need to let our boys get more dirty more often! Joel looks like he is having a blast though (even if it was hard on mama :)!
ps. i'm cracking up that he had a little "yard" for him to play in! that's a great idea - especially since i have seen Joel in action!
I'm a bit of a freak about my son getting totally dirty too. I'm trying to relax, especially now that it is summer. Maybe this gets easier as they get older & we get used to mud & mess.
We used to use that same gate/pen thing with D in our living room when he first came home. Good idea to use it outside. I'll tuck that away for future reference. I'd also be worried about the river, stream, etc...
I also am not a big fan of camping...but I know lots of people do it with their kiddos (my parents did too).
I hear you on the running off fear, they move so quickly! And I have to admit, I have total tent envy - that looks HUGE :).
Ha! Your post cracked me up! I am SO not a camper too! I love your comment about letting Joel be a boy and getting dirty. I'm such a clean freak that I hate when Atticus drools to much, I'm really not looking forward to the digging in the dirt phase that most boys like. Although, it sounds like a lot of others feel the same way as I read through some of the comments. ;)
Anyway it sounds like you guys did have some fun and I love the pictures of Joel. Maybe next time you get to pick the getaway spot? Perhaps a nice hotel with a spa for mommy? ;)
what a great treat for joel, even if camping isn't your cup of tea! kudos to you for "roughing it"! does joel do okay in the playpen? everytime I've tried it with jd, he CRIES (the kid hates being locked up)!
I've been a few times, but am definitely not an enthusiastic camper, though I'm sure w/2 boys that is going to have to change.
Bravo to you for surviving the trip - dirt & all! Of course you did have have a deluxe tent, so it was a pretty high-end trip :)
This post cracks me up!! Seriously, so funny! Sounds like you managed to have a good time. Joel looks happy and dirty!
I loved seeing the pictures. I think camping is something you have to grow up with to really like it. It has to grow on you :)It sounds like you handled it fine!
That's great you took him camping. I am an advocate of experiencing all kids of things with your kid for a well-rounded education. Sounds like he had fun, even if you didn't. Way to be a good sport.
Joel sure looks like he had a great time! And good for you for hanging in there. I think I'd need to be bribed or paid to go camping. ;) Totally not my thing. Although, that is one sweet looking tent. :)
You're so funny! Though we have talked about the trip, your paragraph describing your dislike is hilarious!
I hope next time, Joel is old enough to escape the fenced in area.
Man are you brave! Glad it turned out okay and that Joel did okay too!
I love reading your blog. Joel is so sweet and I love your pictures. You do a lot of fun stuff with him! He has such cute little teeth too. :)
I have the same issues with letting Kyle get dirty:-) It looks like Joel had a great time and I love the pictures of him on the bridge:-)
Glad you were able to let him be little dirtier, but that is tough! Love the play-yard idea!
Post a Comment