Sunday, March 14, 2010

16 Months!

Joel is 16 months today--wow! He is growing up so fast. It's so fun to watch him learn new things and become more of a boy than a baby. Here are some big boy things he is doing.

He is getting so good at identifying objects in his books. He can point out many animals, vehicles, objects, and shapes. He loves to find stars, which is great because we have so many in our house!

He is starting to become more verbal. We are working on his speech, since he was evaluated by Early Intervention (per advice of our social worker who recommends that to everyone) as being behind in that area. He can now say "more" and my goodness! Every time he wants something now he yells, "More!" which actually sounds like mah. He just started saying "more that" and can say the beginning sounds of many words.

He is able to make four animal sounds--lion, kitten, snake, and cow. He also knows what a fire truck sounds like. I tried literally eight times today to catch it on video and none of them turned out! Although the outtakes would have been pretty funny, I'll have to try for another day.

He is starting to get shy around people he doesn't know. If we are holding him and someone talks to him, he gets this shy little smile and puts his head down on our chest. It's so sweet! He is also giving more and more hugs and cuddles and kisses. After learning how to say "kiss me" in Korean recently, I said it to Joel and he gave me a kiss! Okay, it does sound very similar, but it was still cute!

Joel is also starting to become more of a toddler in a not-so-good way. He is getting more and more independent and is starting to let us know when he doesn't like something by throwing a little tantrum. We haven't had any full blown tantrums yet, but I'm sure those days are coming. :)

To go along with my video that didn't turn out, I also took about twenty pictures today and none of them were blog worthy. I finally got a couple of good shots in the bath--last chance of the day. It was just kind of an off day all around with the time change.

We love having Joel in our lives and love him more and more each day!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love his hair. He is so cute.

sue said...

happy 16 months! his hair is great!

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Happy 16 months Joel! I so understand the whole video/camera not working out. I think that is why I catch so many gems on my phone only... it's like he *knows* to not to anything cute when I have them out!

Sunnymama said...

I love those pictures, he is so handsome!

Cori said...

Happy 16 months, Joel!

The first picture of him in the bathtub is a priceless expression!

Jenny said...

yay, joel!!!! you're learning so much!!!!

Kris said...

Happy 16 months, Joel! Sounds like he is doing well.

We also have the problem with the video camera - every time we pull it out, X stops what he is doing!

Elizabeth Frick said...

Yay! Happy 16 months!

Bekah said...

Happy 16 months Joel! He just has the sweetest face!

Kimberly and Ed said...

Happy 16 months Joel!!! Love the hair:)

Kara said...

Love the bath pictures. I am catching up on all of your posts, since the text from your blog doesn't show up on my work computer for some reason. Sounds like you've had a lot of great adventures the last few weeks. Happy 16 months Joel! Can't wait until we can all get together again!

Sandra said...

Happy 16 months! What a cutie!

Colleen said...

Happy 16 months, Joel!! Sounds like you are doing some pretty amazing things! And love love love the tubby shots! One of my favorite times of the day. They just look so cute all soapy and wet. :)

JoJo said...

Happy 16 mos Joel! I love these pics of him.

Rach@In His Hands said...

I love that our boys are just days apart....Si is doing SO many of the same things as Joel. Fun!

Janet said...

Fun bath shots! I recently took some good ones in that location also.

Sounds like his development is really coming along nicely...sounds similar to things going on around here too.

kelly said...

I LOVE THOSE TUB PHOTOS!! What an adorable little 16 month old you have there. Your story about learning to say "Kiss me" in Korean is so touching. What a wonderful thing to do, Christine and it WORKED! Love it.