Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lunar New Year Celebration

We had our other Lunar New Year party this past weekend. This one was for our local adoption group, which includes children adopted from Korea, China, Russia, US, Taiwan, Haiti, and the Marshall Islands. So we have quite a bit of diversity! It was a really fun celebration with around one hundred people. I was asked to plan a Korean craft and say "May you receive many blessings in the New Year" in Korean. For the craft, I used the Korean game yut-nori, which children play during the Lunar New Year. It basically consists of a game board and four wooden sticks that are decorated on one side. The sticks are thrown into the air and players move their game piece according to how many sticks land decorated side up. I made a game board with the flag and hanboks to color and each child got four popsicle sticks to decorate. When they were done decorating and coloring they were able to play the game.






After the craft time, we had a special presentation of Chinese dancers, which was fabulous! It was so fun to watch, and Joel really liked it, too. He actually sat still for about five minutes!





We then enjoyed a yummy dinner with various Asian dishes followed by more crafts and a pinata for the older kids. We left soon after since Joel was getting a bit restless. It was a lot of excitement in three hours!

The best part of this celebration, as always, was the people. We spent some time with our friends K and Spike and enjoyed watching Joel and Spike together. We also saw some friends who are waiting to bring their son home from Korea, and met a family that is waiting to bring their daughter home from Korea! We had a great time celebrating the Lunar New Year and we look forward to many more years of this special holiday!

13 comments:

sue said...

that looks like so much fun! and great job mama, on the Korean craft!!

kelly said...

That looks like a wonderful celebration! I'm loving all the opportunities for Joel to wear (and look super cute in) his hanbok! I'm also super impressed with your craftiness with the yut-nori board - WOW!!

Kimberly and Ed said...

What a great way to celebrate the Lunar New Year! Joel looks adorable in his hanbok:-)

JoJo said...

What a fun party! Your craft looks great. And now that you know how to make a yut-nori board and play..you can do it every year.

Jenny said...

what a fun time! and good job on the craft/game! cute!!!

Kris said...

Wow, that looks like so much fun! Great job on the craft, Christine. I'm so impressed!

Heidi and Jason said...

Looks like a fun celebration! Joel is so cute in his hanbok! I love the look of concentration while he was coloring.

Elizabeth Frick said...

How fun is that! And yay for you and crafting the Yut game!!!

Kelly said...

Wow, that looks like a great celebration! Your crafting looks like big fun, and those little dancers are adorable.

Colleen said...

Ok, totally impressed over here with your craftiness! Love it!
Looks like such a fun celebration and sounds like a wonderful time.

Janet said...

Spike? I LOVE that name!

What cute pictures. Your crafty game looks beautiful. Good job!

Bekah said...

Wow...that looks like a lot of fun! I love the look of concentration on Joel's face when he's coloring. Love those cheeks of his!

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

I've intentionally saved this since we are going to a lunar new year celebration tomorrow in a local asian community. I can't wait! Especially after reading this...

Brilliant execution on the game too. We LOVE YutNori here. Hmmm... I think I might have a party idea for when we finally finalize now!