Today marks 11 months since HSTK (home study to Korea). When our home study was sent to Korea, we expected about a 6-8 month wait for a referral. Since then, the time has been extended to 15 months. There are a lot of changes happening with the Korean adoption program, and the process is very different than it was with Joel. Another change is that our child will likely be 12-18 months at referral and 15-24 months at homecoming. We've had to adjust our expectations quite a bit since starting this second adoption process, but we are okay with the changes and are trusting in God's perfect timing. We know that our next little one will come along when the time is right. Of course, it helps having Joel to distract us and fill our lives with joy. We know that he won't be our only child forever, so we are soaking it all up while we can.
When we first started the process, we talked about it quite a bit with Joel and told him that he would have a little brother (or sister) soon. Then, when the wait lengthened, we talked about it less with him. Lately, since I feel like we are getting somewhat closer, we've been adding that to our prayers at night and talking about it a little again. We also recently asked Joel what he thought we should name his baby brother. His two responses have been Bomber and Belly Button. Of course we'll be highly considering those names. ;)
A long time ago, when Joel was in his "ask a thousand questions about everything" phase, we told him that when it gets dark at night, it's because the sun is going to Korea. He still mentions that every once in awhile. Last week, I asked him why the sun went to Korea, and he said, "To say hi to my baby brother." It just about brought me to tears, and I can picture telling that story to both of our boys someday.
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I'm so glad you posted this! I've been wondering, but was afraid to ask... I love what Joel said about the sun... SO SWEET.
PS - The ask 1,000 questions phase was a long time ago?! I'm jealous!
i may have shed a tear reading that last paragraph! what a sweet spirit joel has. happy sigh.
i think of you soooo much with this long wait. baby brother is already in my thoughts, so i know he is in yours too. i can't wait to see your new baby boy!!!!
To say hi to my baby brother... Absolute sweetness.
I'm praying for news for you!
I have been thinking about you, too. Hang in there - I wish it was more simple and straightforward. I love the "sun goes to Korea" story, and even more so, I love how Joel has latched onto it. What a sweet story to tell your two kids, indeed.
Oh that Joel - what a sweet, smart thing to say about the sun in Korea. I love that story and think it will be so fun to retell it some day with Joel and his little brother Bomber (ahem - I laughed out loud at that one!) I am really glad you updated us. I knew things were getting closer for you guys but didn't know what the latest thinking was about timing. I know what it's like to readjust your thinking on age of child and wait to travel timing. It's really hard. But you're right - the timing will end up being perfect. Sooooo, I'm thinking a late summer surprise, perhaps?! I hope so!
That last paragraph melted my heart. Joel is going to be such an amazing big brother!
Praying for you and hoping you know who your little one is soon soon soon! All in His time!
I am late to be reading & replying to this now...
I have been thinking about you & your adoption journey...wondering...curious. I am so glad you posted this. Thank you for sharing what you know. It is sooooo different now for everyone I know in the process. I hope your referral comes sooner rather than later, but you sound at peace with the process right now. I love the story/explanation for the sun & how Joel explains it to you're now. So very sweet.
Post a Comment