Since Joel is turning two, we thought a big boy hair cut was in order. He's needed one for awhile, but I just kept putting off. Joel has never had a hair cut that I really liked. Maybe I'm just too picky? His hair never looks good after a cut and they always cut off his side burns even when I say please leave the side burns long. (Are long side burns that unusual?!) A couple friends told us about a Korean salon close to us and we decided to give that a try. Miss Chloe was very sweet and took us right away, even rearranging some of her clients. Despite the fact that Miss Chloe was very sweet, Joel was not happy. At all. He cried, like sobbed, during the entire hair cut. I felt terrible for everyone in the salon! Joel was sitting on my lap, which did not help his distress, so I was covered in hair trying to comfort Joel. He managed to stop crying for short bursts, just long enough to put a raisin in his mouth and swallow it, and then he would start again. Miss Chloe was doing such a good job with our sobbing, squirmy boy, and his hair was looking great. The side burns were even long! Until she brought out the clippers. She used them around the back and then just shaved the side burns off before I could open my mouth. Ah, well. At least I can blame that one on a language barrier. Finally she was done and Joel calmed down, but for a long time after, Joel kept saying, "scared. hair." Miss Chloe told us very firmly to come back next time. I think she was just being nice. :) Joel forgot all about his traumatic experience when we got to the All Aboard Diner, though. He was in awe of all the choo-choos!
Here is Joel with his big boy hair cut. I really do think it turned out cute.

I'm just hoping it's awhile before we have to go through that again.
24 comments:
It is a GREAT haircut - and I think any one would be great on cute Joel! "scared.hair" just melts my heart. And thank YOU for mentioning All Aboard Diner - I think we're going to need to check that one out!
I love Joel's new hair cut! Kyle has the same reaction at the salon:-(
Kimberly
He looks so cute!
G was the same way with his haircuts until the last one. Our trick was M&M's but I know that's not happening with you. Hopefully Joel's hair will grow slowly so it will be awhile til the next one.
Matthew needs his hair cut and like you I've been putting it off. Now I'm a little scared :) BTW, I think Joel would look cute with any hair cut :)
Awwww, but he looks so handsome with his big boy hair cut!
He looks great. Ben also despises having his hair cut. We now always bring food and feed him and that keeps him from crying until the very end.
What a handsome boy! These hair cuts sound so traumatic - for the kids and for the moms!
It's a great haircut! I always hope that my son's hair will grow slowly. ;)
it's so cute!
and christine, it is a well known fact that korean hair stylists NEVER listen to you! :)
he looks ADORABLE! of course :)
bummer about the sideburns - not sure why every stylist is so anti!
He does look like such a big boy with that haircut...and as always such a cutie! Hopefully next time will not be quite as traumatic for either one of you! :)
What a great cut!!! I love it! (Even sans sideburns) I will say that S gets progressively better with each hair cut with this new girl we've found. No more screaming and grabbing onto me for all it's worth. (I laughed at how you had hair all over you... I actually had to go buy a new shirt since we had dinner plans!)
Joel looks adorable with his new cut! I feel your pain on the crying and freaking out. Noah was the same way and I too would feel so bad for the other clients in the salon. And then one day out of the blue, he did great and has ever since. ( watch, i'm probably jinxing myself now. :)
I think his hair cut is very cute and does make him look more like a little boy than a baby!!
We've had the SAME problem with the sideburns...what is WRONG with these people? One lady even told me, "You know, babies don't grow sideburns." REALLY?! I told her I knew that, but I just wanted her to leave some hair there to create the illusion of sideburns! The last two times have been a bit better, but still shorter than we want it. My DH even said, "Make it like mine," but that only helped so much. I think next time we're going to attempt to trim it around the ears ourselves (since that is the part that always gets too long quickly) and see what happens. If it is a disaster we know we can always go back and get the sideburns completely cut off again...since that is what they want to do anyway.
I'm sorry Joel was crying/scared. Poor guy (and poor you). I think he looks CUTE! :-)
i like it! our boys' sideburns are so precious to us! next time, definitely take her a photo.
It is a super cute haircut! I am always dreading going in to get it cut, you never know who is going to be on the other side of those scissors.
Awww, Joel, I'm sorry it was so traumatic but it looks really good!! Why do our little guys hate the hair cuts so much? I mean, it's not like it hurts, right? Joel saying "scared. hair" is so sweet and so sad. I'm laughing at Grace's comment about Korean hair stylists never listening :)
He looks so cute with that cut and I can say that honestly even after seeing him in person - it's SO CUTE!! I don't understand though, why these stylists always want to buzz off the sideburns! I hope next time they don't get cut off, but I also hope it's a long time before you have to go through that again.
It looks great! I dread haircuts too - Andy, at 4, still cries and gets nervous and Aidan has trouble sitting still. I always end up leaving a huge tip and practically running out of the salon.
His haircut is so precious! Thanks for sharing that sweet picture!
I think the cut turned out wonderful. So very cute!
Poor little guy! "Scared hair" :( He looks really cute though. I hope the next one is much less traumatic!
Where is this Korean salon you speak of? And Joel looks cute no matter what his hair looks like (which is preety cute too).
Post a Comment