Thursday, November 18, 2010

Birthday Bash

We had a wonderful time celebrating Joel's second birthday with our family and friends! As I've mentioned before, Joel is very into trains right now so we decided on a train theme for his party. Travis asked what he could do to help, and I said that making a train out of cardboard for the kids to play in would be great. This is what he came up with.

Isn't it amazing?! Way beyond what I expected. There was even a little door in the back to crawl through. The kids did love it and it no longer resembles a train. But it was fun while it lasted! We also had a table with a craft and coloring pages for the kids.

These are the favor bags for Joel's friends and cookies and cream rice krispie treats for the adults. This idea was courtesy of Christine who blogs at 12,450 Miles and Leapfrog Lane. I just love the crafts she designs!

Our guests enjoyed some food and fun.

We weren't planning on opening all the gifts since it was an open house, but some of the kids wanted Joel to open them. Which, of course, was totally fine with Joel.

My mom made this cute train cake for Joel. He loved it! I really wish we had gotten him blowing out the candles on video. It was adorable. He was clapping and then he just took a deep breath and blew out the candles! We hadn't even practiced it with him.

Joel also enjoyed a cupcake. There was no sugar free zucchini cake to be found this year.

Joel is a very blessed little boy with lots of friends and family that love him. We are grateful for these relationships as well and loved celebrating our son with everyone!

20 comments:

BrandiB said...

Wow! What a great party! Thanks for showing all of the picures and happy birthday Joel!

Amy said...

What a fun party!! I love the cardboard train...such a great idea. And the picture of Joel clapping his hands and smiling about his train cake is sooo cute! Happy Birthday Joel!!

Anonymous said...

That cardboard train is awesome! Happy Birthday to Joel!!

Kristen said...

that train is (well, was) so cool!

Looks like a great celebration!

Elizabeth Frick said...

What a darling party!!! LOVE the giant train!

Colleen said...

What an amazing 2nd birthday celebration for Joel! I love it all!....the cool train ( way to go daddy! ), the cake, the awesome favors and of course Joel's cool choo choo tee. what a great party!
Ohh, and we had the opposite problem....so busy videotaping Noah's cake time that we didn't get any photos of it. :(

Heidi and Jason said...

What a fun party! That big train is so cool! Looks like Joel had a great birthday!

Kimberly and Ed said...

I LOVE the cardboard train and all of the cute decorations! What a fun party:-)

JoJo said...

So glad we could celebrate Joel's birthday with him. He's such a special little boy and we're lucky to have him in our lives too.
I love the pics of him peering into his gifts.
I think I need a copy of that pic of Gabe.

Cori said...

What a great looking party. We were so bummed to miss it. Happy birthday, Joel!

Jenny said...

looks like a wonderful party! i'm impressed with the train travis made!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Grace said...

wow, that train is AMAZING!!!! travis did an amazing job!
and all the birthday pictures are so sweet...love gabe's serious face and joel's very apparent excitement!

kelly said...

Oh, this party looked AWESOME! So much cool stuff. The best part is that super cute birthday boy! I love the photos of Joel looking so excited to be opening presents and then next to his train cake. Love him! And I love his choo-choo shirt :) Travis, KUDOS on making that awesome train. I'm sure the kids had a total blast playing with (destroying?) that thing! I recognize lots of buddies in these shots - how fun. Happy 2nd Birthday Joel!!

IP Journey said...

wow! That train is amazing! Does your husband have a blueprint he can share with us! =) Happy Birthday Joel!

Sandra said...

What a great birthday party! Looks like the birthday boy had fun!

Jessica J said...

Looks like such a great party. I can't wait to have a boy....seems like trains are their thing... :). Happy Bithday Joel!

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

There are so many things I love about this post. (I hope I remember them all!) First, I love that train... how cool is that?! WOW. WOW! I'd never be able to create that. Second, I love all the little details... the coloring sheets, the party bags, the cupcakes, the train cake...

I also love seeing all the buddies playing together, and enjoying the party - FUN! It really looks like an awesome, awesome time.

And completely random... but I love the canvas photo of you three. LOVE.

(Thanks for the sweet shout-out too.) :-)

Janet said...

Looks like a GREAT party. LOVE the big train box (and love that the kids "destroyed" it with love!). I recognized several cute guests there. Happy Birthday, Joel! I love that all our little guys are turning TWO...so exciting!

I agree...I wish I had taken a video of Little D when we sang HAPPY BIRTHDAY too. Sounds like they had a similar reaction. Little D clapped and smiled and blew out the candles on cue (w/o practice). So fun!

Rach@In His Hands said...

Joel's party was perfect, Chrisine! The details are wonderful and THAT TRAIN! Awesome! I can see why it was a hit! Happy Birthday to Joel!

sue said...

we LOVED joel's party! you and travis did a wonderful job - from the food and favors to the play train and coloring pages! and you know i adored the decorations too!

joel was awesome with all the attention - he's such a sweet boy!

i'm so glad i got to meet nyla too :)