Joel then performed the Toljabee. This is a Korean custom done on the first birthday that is meant to predict the child's future interests or profession. A number of items are laid out on a table, and the child picks what attracts him or her. We also had the guests guess on a display board what they thought Joel would pick, which was fun, too. The items we had were:
needle and thread: Joel will live a long life.
Bible: Joel will be interested in ministry.
paintbrush: Joel will be creative.
rice cake: Joel will be wealthy.
recorder (as in the musical instrument): Joel will have musical talent.
pencil: Joel will be a successful scholar.
knife: Joel will be a chef.
Some of these are traditional, and some we added based on the interests of our family. Joel went for the recorder right away, which is what got the most votes from our guests! He then tried to grab the pencil, but it fell to the ground, so he scooped up the paintbrush and the knife together. So Joel will be a man of many talents. :)
It was then present time! Joel received some really cute toys and clothes, and a beautiful knitted blanket from Grandma.
Finally, it was cake time. Here is my "first birthday cake" story. As many of you know, I'm very particular about what Joel eats. He eats about 98% organic, and no red meat at all. And nothing with a lot of sugar or additives. So, I thought it would be a great idea to make a birthday cake for him, while we all enjoyed a delicious fattening sugar filled chocolate cake with buttercream frosting. I labored over a zucchini cake with raisins, honey, and cream cheese frosting. No sugar in sight! Here's how it turned out, and doesn't it just look delicious? ;)
What I didn't know is that the bakery gave us a free smash cake for Joel. And it looked like this:
How could I give him the dry, rather tasteless, unappetizing looking cake? I couldn't. So he got the unhealthy trans fat frosting sugar filled cake instead. As it turns out, about two bites actually made it into his mouth, so it wasn't a big deal. I was okay with it--really. And the pictures are priceless.
We also honored Joel's birth mother and foster mother with a little display and a candle lit for each of them.
We handed out rice cakes which are meant to give the child a long life and happiness as favors for the adults, and Korean cookies, candy, and chopsticks for the kids.
We had a wonderful time celebrating our son. Joel is our sunshine, our joy, our love. Happy Birthday, our Joel Allen Hwan!

12 comments:
Oh, what a wonderful post! It sounds like it was a super nice day. Yay Joel! Great photos! Happy Birthday little guy.
Happy Birthday Joel!
What a wonderful first birthday! Good job getting into that cake, Joel...sugar & all! Happy Tol, little Joel!
yay! happy birthday, joel! looks like the party was a hit!
ps - i'm happy to know i'm not the only one who doesn't want her kiddo to have sugar!!!
Looks like a wonderful celebration! Happy Birthday to Joel!
Wow...it sounds like Joel had a fantastic first birthday! Happy birthday Joel! Everything sounded wonderful! I really love how you honored his birth mother & foster mother...very sweet. It definitely brought a tear to my eye.
What a wonderful celebration! I totally hear you about the cake - we made Olive's with apple juice concentrate and no refined stuff. I feel your sugar pain :)
Beautiful party!
Happy Birthday Joel!! Sounds like you had an amazing time. I love the pics of him in his hanbok! I also really like how you honored the birth and foster mother's. I may have to "steal" that idea from you:).
What a sweet face! Lots of great ideas for the first birthday too...
happy birthday Joel! i thought the zucchini cake sounded yummy! but i'm sure Joel enjoyed digging into his sugar laden cake!
you did such a great job incorporating the Korean culture into the day! such special memories.
WOW, what a great party you threw for Joel! So many meaningful pieces to his special day, I will be looking back at this post one day :) I was so worried about the cake with my kiddos too, they had never had much for solid food before their first birthday much less sugar etc., but they never even got any in their mouths so it was more a picture moment for mom (which was totally fine by me :) )
HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY JOEL!!!!!!!!
Hi Christine,
You don't know me, but I stumbled upon your blog tonight, and I'm so glad I did! Your Joel is just a few days older than our Lily who we hope to bring home from Seoul very soon!!
What a wonderful birthday party!! We plan to have a party for Lily when she comes home even though it will be after her birthday, and you gave me some great ideas!
Oh, and I didn't let our son Owen have sugar for a looooong time except at birthday parties!
Happy Birthday to Joel!!
Post a Comment