We have a few new firsts to add to the post, and they aren't good! Joel's little cold turned into a not-so-little cold with a fever, cough, congestion, and throwing up. On Thursday afternoon he started to sound a little congested, and by Thursday night he woke up in the middle of the night with a 101.5 fever. Thankfully we had some children's Tylenol on hand, but being first time parents, didn't know how much to give him. The directions say for children under 2 years old to ask a doctor. However, the weight chart said that Joel should get a full dose. We weren't sure which one to go with, so we ended up giving him just half a dose. His fever went down, although Joel didn't. He was awake on and off from 2:00 until about 7:00 crying and fussing. Nothing comforted or soothed him, but finally he feel asleep and slept for a couple hours. His fever never returned, but he was coughing and his voice was just about gone the next day. It was so sad to listen to him try to babble and talk! He also ended up throwing up on two different occasions, both while eating lunch. I think that he started gagging on the mucus in his throat, and the food just kind of....well, you know. Let's just say I am NOT looking forward to our first experience with the stomach flu.
Today I ended up taking him to the doctor, and she said that he had the beginnings of an ear infection and prescribed him an antibiotic. Between that and his cough, you can tell he isn't feeling like himself. We're trying BabyRub on the bottoms of his feet, spending time in the bathroom with steam from the shower and eucalyptus oil, and a cool mist humidifier in his room. Hopefully he'll be back to normal soon! We were just glad that it happened this week and not next for his birthday.
Sorry, this is a no picture post. I tried getting one of Joel fussing, but it never worked out. Then, as he was covered in throw-up I briefly thought of taking a picture, but that just would have been
wrong (not to mention I'm sure that's not how you want to see Joel!).
So, our weekend consisted of a sick baby, an injured dog*, a crabby mama, and a busy daddy. Let's hope this week and next weekend are better!
*Our dog Nyla has an injured ligament in her knee and is going in for surgery this Thursday. Poor puppy. :(
7 comments:
Poor baby and poor mama, I hope he is feeling better soon! It is so hard to see our little ones when they aren't feeling well :(
poor joel!!! i hope he makes a speedy recovery! sounds rough :( and poor nyla! i hope the surgery fixes her all up (and isn't costing you YOUR leg! my parents had surgery on one of their labs and it was pricey! but they're worth it :-) )
Oh that sounds rough! I hope he feels better soon. Don't you wish they could talk and tell you what hurts? I hope your dog's surgery goes well too.
Oh no Christine! I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I hope that as you're reading this Joel is feeling 100% better.
So sorry to hear about your dog's leg too. I hope the surgery goes well & she recovers fully.
Take care!
Oh, dear. Nothing hurts a mama's heart more than when her little one is sick, especially throwing up. We've had our first bout of the stomach flu after Baby D was home for only 1 month...and it was NOT pretty. I hope Joel is feeling better already...poor little guy!
Oh no. Poor baby. And mom! Feel better soon, Joel!
I hope Joel is feeling MUCH better!! And, poor Nyla... I hope everything goes ok!!
Post a Comment