Thursday, August 20, 2009

Five Weeks Home...

...and Joel is still doing great! He has been...

-sleeping through the night on a regular basis, from about 9 PM to 8 AM. He's still taking two naps a day (except for the days he likes to fall asleep in my arms and be wide awake as soon as I put him in his crib).

-trying lots of new foods, including plums, green beans, peas, pasta, yogurt, blueberries, and ice cream (thanks grandma!)

-babbling all the time and making sounds like baba, dada, nnga, tata, and mum. He's also discovered how to scream--not a crying scream, just a "wow, look at the sound I can make" scream. He especially likes to scream while he's in his high chair, which I'm sure people in restaurants love.

-becoming more attached to mommy. We were in the elevator at the doctor's office to drop something off, and a lady reached out to play with his feet. Joel immediately looked up at me, turned away from the lady, and grabbed my arm just a little tighter. It was great reassurance that the attachment process is going well. When my mom and I were out to eat with Joel, I left the table to get more food, and Joel started fussing because I left. I took pleasure in this because it means that he knows who I am and that I'm someone important. However, we still know that the attachment process is ongoing; it's not something that has already been achieved.

-enjoying his books. I have never seen a baby so interested in books! I love to read and always have. It's so great for me that Joel will sit through a reading of The Hat by Jan Brett and look at each page. He also loves his animal books and his singing nursery rhyme book.

-learning how to pull himself up to stand. The first time he did this, he had just woken up from his nap. I went into his room, put a few clothes in his dresser, and turned around to see him standing up! He has since pulled himself up on the couch. We're so proud of our big boy. :)

-charming all of his family members, especially his cousins! They love playing with him and making him laugh.

-visiting the library, taking walks, shopping, going to church, and playing with mommy and daddy.

-continuing to be the brightest, funniest, cutest, sweetest, most irresistable, most lovable baby in the world! We love him so much and thank God for him many times a day. Enjoy some pictures of his cuteness:






8 comments:

kelly said...

FIVE WEEKS? Are you kidding me? I could have sworn you guys were just in Korea! Wow, time flies!

Joel is just adorable and it sounds like things are going really well in your house. I'm so happy for you guys - what a wonderful family you've created. :)

Elizabeth Frick said...

Ooh, I just want to pinch those delicious cheeks!!!

Janet said...

Great update! Great pictures! He is SOOOO cute.

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Sounds like he is doing WONDERFULLY! And look at those cheeks! Love. Them.

Bekah said...

Wow...it sounds like everything is going very well! Yea! He's such a doll! I'm just thrilled for you guys! :)

Rach@In His Hands said...

So glad to hear everything is going so well!!! What a cutie pie you have!!

Tracy said...

Your little guy is so cute!

Jen said...

BEAUTIFUL! I'm pretty sure he couldn't be ANY cuter!!