This is what I've dreaming of for the past forty days...
...and quite honestly, there were times when I thought I wouldn't make it. Easter and the rich taste of my favorite Cold Stone ice cream seemed so far away. Why was I dreaming about chocolate instead of actually enjoying it? Because I decided to give up chocolate for Lent. To understand why this was so difficult, you have to know that very few days go by when I don't indulge in chocolate of some kind. I keep Hershey's kisses in my desk drawer at work, my favorite Endangered Species Dark Chocolate Mint candy bar in our pantry at home, and my husband on hand for "Cold Stone Runs." I've tried to find other things to replace chocolate, but let me tell you--I am tired of jelly beans and sweet cream ice cream with graham cracker just doesn't do it for me!
This is the first year I've decided to give something up as a remembrance of what Christ sacrificed for us on the cross. It was very enlightening in a few different ways. As a society, we're very much used to having what we want when we want it. A whopper? There's a Burger King on every corner. A new TV? There's a credit card with no interest that lets you take it home today. Deep dish pizza? Place your order and it arrives at your house in an hour. A little self-control is never a bad thing for anyone. Every time I had a chocolate craving, I thought about how I indulge in a few things a little too often. I also thought about people who don't have the same luxuries we do. People who don't even know where their next meal will come from, children who don't get Easter baskets filled with jelly beans and chocolate bunnies. It made me grateful for what I have, for all the gifts God has given to me.
Most importantly, it made me reflect on Jesus's death on the cross and the amount of love He has for you and me. Although the thought of giving up chocolate being comparable to giving up your life is just slightly different, both are sacrifices, both motivated by love. I wanted to be more mindful of Lent and the great love God has for me. And I was reminded of His great love--every time I wanted chocolate but didn't have it. And at the first taste of chocolate at midnight tonight, I will be reminded even more of just how sweet His love really is.


0 comments:
Post a Comment