Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Price of a Baby

Since one of our goals in writing this blog is adoption education, we'd like to explain why adoption costs so much. We have had many questions about this area, and even some comments such as "adoption is like buying a baby." Clearly the price of adoption is an area in which education is needed!

-Our local agency charges $3,500 for the home study. This includes four meetings with the social worker, educational workshops (on-line and live), and three post-placement visits. In addition, our agency is a not-for-profit organization and provides counseling, outreach, and educational services to birth and adoptive parents.

-Our placement agency in New York charges $4,300 for registration, networking, and paperwork processing.

-USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) requires a total of $910 for the application and fingerprinting.

-The Korea program fee, which is the largest sum of money, is $16,000. This includes...

*Counseling and shelter for birth mothers
*Medical and legal services for birth parents
*Nursery and foster care for the children
*Post-adoption services
*Maintenance of adoption facilities in Korea

-The final amount of money is for one of the best parts of our experience--the travel to Korea! This will be around $5,000 for a seven to ten day visit in Seoul, Korea.

Add this all together, and you get about $30,000. Korea has one of the most ethical and stable programs, and we are confident that our money will be used legitimately . So, what is the price of a baby? Well, the cost of a Korean adoption is about $30,000. The cost of our baby? Priceless.

1 comments:

Meredith said...

Hey Guys.... I know Travis from Leads Group and I had to leave a comment here. I also endured 5 miscarriages and a year of infertility with no success (the twice daily shots and endless ultrasounds were excruciating). I found peace in my faith but I have to say, I wish I would have known you when I was going through it all. You hit the nail right on the head..... your faith through this is an inspiration. I read that quote that infertility is a blessing and I almost choked.... then I continued to read your insight on it and thought about it for myself and you are right. For us, it was a matter of getting other things in order. Although I thought we had a great marriage, we had to get some thinks moving on a better track and I think God's plan and God's timing ALWAYS trumps our best laid plans. I pray for you both to have a smooth adoption and I can't wait to meet your new baby (in about a year, eh?) This must be such a trying journey for you but your grace and determination are admirable. Thanks for sharing your story.... God Bless! -Meredith DeLeo