Monday, October 12, 2009

Yawning...

...is pretty much all I've been doing for the past two weeks! Remember our wonderful sleeper who sleeps 11 hours a night? He is definitely not here anymore. We aren't quite sure what the issue is yet--there are so many possibilites. He could be teething, grieving, attaching, adjusting, hungry, cold, or just have trouble going back to sleep since we always rock/sing him to sleep. We've ruled out a few of the above, but we still don't have any clear answers. There are nights when he wakes up five times crying, but goes back to sleep after we pick him up and comfort him. There are nights (mornings?) when he wakes up at 4:30 or 5:30 when his normal wake up time is 8:00. There are nights when he wakes up four times and then stays awake for two hours in the middle of the night. And there are nights when Mama doesn't know how she will survive! I don't deal well with sleep deprivation at all. And doesn't it just figure that during the night of "Daddy Duty" Joel didn't wake up once?

We are hoping that this is a phase and Joel will return to his great sleeping habits. We feel bad for our little one, who is clearly unhappy about something. It's so hard to hear him crying and not know exactly why. We are doing some reading and research in hopes that we can try something new that might help. We also know that we have to start weaning him off of putting him to sleep. He hasn't fallen asleep once on his own since he came home, and that could be part of the problem. We've definitely tried putting him down and just sitting there or leaving him in his crib, but he has too much fun! He walks all around the inside, yells, laughs, plays with the crib bumper...there's no way he will go to sleep that way! It's something we're working on, for sure.

In the meantime, we are enjoying his cuteness and sweetness as much as possible, because how else would we survive those nights and mornings?



11 comments:

sue said...

oh no! i hear ya though! it's so hard and sleep deprivation is the worst. and isn't it frustrating when they sleep through the night when it's dad's night!!!??? hang in there and keep soaking in Joel's cuteness!

Megan said...

Oh he is so darn CUTE! Nighttime parenting is so trying and draining when there are sleep issues. We struggled with sleep issues with both kiddos so I feel your pain (and exhaustion).

Have you read the No Cry Sleep Solution? It has alot of ideas to help with sleep issues but is more of a attachment parenting technique. We also tag teamed alot, so at least we were each getting a little rest in between the nighttime parenting duties.

Hang in there and good luck!

JoJo said...

Ugh...that stinks. Sleep deprivation and confusion is the worst. And the fact that he was sleeping before makes it even harder. Maybe just let him hang out in the crib since he's happy in there? I bet he will fall asleep eventually..and if he's happy while he's in there...you won't feel guilty.

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Oh, I know your pain. Spencer has never been a good sleeper though, so you have a whole different level of frustration! We've gone through a couple of really bad phases as well, so I know how trying they are. Hang in there! For what it's worth... we used the Sleep*Sense program to teach Spencer how to put himself back to sleep (we've read most of the sleep books) and were really happy with it. Email me if you want more info or just to vent - I'm more than willing to listen!

Elizabeth Frick said...

I hate to tell you, but this sounds *exactly* like Olive. And I'm afraid to say that she still is like this. Not every night, but we never know what we're going to get. It's like a crap shoot every night. And has been for MONTHS. So although I can empathize, I'm afraid I have no solution for you :(
And if you figure one out, let me know!

Janet said...

I think this sleep stuff is the hardest things...for our little ones and for us parents. We still have not had a "sleep through the night" yet...at least not by MY definition. Technically, sleeping 5 or more hrs straight is "sleeping through the night" for these guys...hmmm. We had a couple of rougher nights (related to tummy stuff, I think), but last night he slept for over 10 hrs in two 5-hr chunks, so we're OK w/ that. Daddy sleeps with him for the first chunk and me for the second. At least your little guy is in his crib. We haven't made that transition yet. Tried for naps, but then had to scrap it when he got sick last week. We'll start up again. It is nice to have these blogs to share each other's "sleep woes," because we certainly all have them from time to time.

Also...LOVE the monkey PJs. Baby D has a shirt like that, but I haven't seen the PJs...cute!

Jenny said...

oh no! i hope he gets back to his 11 hours soon!!! and keep the pics coming! i love them! he's SUCH a cutie...

Bekah said...

Ugh...I'm sorry to hear this Christine! I'm hoping things get better very soon! On ha happier note...I'm loving the pjs! He looks so adorable!

Alicia said...

He is so cute! I can't believe how fast he is growing... They grow up way too fast.

Krista said...

Oh boy... that sounds just like Alex - but I know his is teething related - and his cold. Very frustrating - especially since I'm back to work now.
Ok - I was hoping this was a short term phase - but reading the other comments makes it sound like it is a trend I better get used to - let's hope not!! We momma's need our sleep!

Christine said...

Thanks for all the supportive comments, ladies! It helps to know I'm not alone. :)