Sunday, March 22, 2009

Three Months Down!

This past month of waiting has sure gone quickly! That's definitely a good thing. Some great news--in our latest newsletter from our agency, we found out that the referral wait time has gone back down to 6-8 months! We're also happy that this month was more productive for us. We've been filling out applications and answering essay questions for adoption grants. There are six agencies we are applying to, and we hope to receive at least one grant. Our goal is to have them mailed by April 1.

I've also been reading a very thought-provoking book about adoption: Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew. It focuses a lot on the loss adoptees feel and how to help them work through their pain and grief. It's sad to think of what our child will lose in his or her first year of life. We want to acknowledge this and be there for our child, no matter what he or she is feeling. It's definitely a must-read for adoptive parents!

We've also been doing one of the most enjoyable things (in my opinion) that come with new babies...shopping! Okay, we haven't actually bought anything yet, but we're sure browsing and picking out our favorites. Strollers, car seats, diaper bags (here's my current fav), clothes, furniture, bedding...you name it! It's so fun and it makes our baby that much more real. We'll probably hold off purchasing anything major until we get our referral. At that point, I'll be in heaven! (For more than one reason, obviously!)

8 comments:

JoJo said...

So glad things are moving quicker at your agency. Good luck on your grants too!

Rach@In His Hands said...

Yay for 3 months! Praying these next few months go quickly for you!

Rach@In His Hands said...

I almost forgot about your link question....

It's super simple, but I'll probably make it sound more complicated than it is!

In blogger, go to "Customize" and click on "Add a Gadget".
Scroll down until you find "Link List".
Then, open up your blog in a new window. Find the post(s) you want to link to. Click on the Title of the post(s). Copy the link for that post.
Go back to the Gadget Link List and paste the link into the "new site URL" blank.
Give it a "new site name" (example: Beginning of Our Story) and then click "add link".
Repeat for other posts you want to add.
Put in Title (Example: Our Journey) and then Save it.
The List should then appear in your sidebar.

Hope that helps....sorry if it's confusing! Let me know if you have ??s.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog. You and Travis are in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

I believe you have my email address from your Aunt Donna's last visit - ping me so I may have yours. Otherwise, I'll call your mom and either get yours or give her mine.
I'd like to send you something off-blog.

Unknown said...

I just found your blog. I will be watching your journey. We have been waiting for almost 8 months. It does go by fast. Just wanted to say Hi. Rhea Anne Wyatt

Sunnymama said...

I love the small steps through this adoption. Checking things off the list of things to do! Everyday is a step closer to your baby!

Unknown said...

Hi -

I am one of the REACH members - the group you emailed in Indiana. The Korean Focus group, that I had mentioned, does not list a chapter in Chicago. I'm sure you'll find other groups through your adoption agency. Best of luck with the paperwork process. The waiting is the hardest part!

If you'd like to see a few photos of our return visit to Korea, you can click on the "Korea" sidebar on my blog. We love Korea! You will have a terrific time getting to know about your baby's birthcountry. I hope you can soak some of it in at the beginning of the trip, b/c once your child is placed in your arms, you won't notice anything else.